The impressive centre hall is constructed of blond sandstone
from Giffnock. The ceiling is a cast concrete barrel vaulted
type. There are twenty display galleries grouped around the
centre hall and two side courts. On the ground floor are side-lit
museum galleries, and on the first floor are top-lit picture
The organ was originally situated in the temporary concert
hall of the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition in Kelvingrove
Park. After the exhibition, it was brought to the Art Gallery
and Museum in 1902. The walnut case front with decorative pipes
was designed by John Simpson, one of the museum's joint architects.
The organ was built by Lewis and Co of Brixton. It was restored
in 1989, and there are frequent recitals.