Until the 1930s and 1940s, many excavations in Scotland were
carried out by amateur archaeologists, whose finds started the
Museum's collection. The Museum's first Scottish object, a stone
axe, was found very close to the Museum itself, at the corner
of Sauchiehall Street and Buchanan Street in Glasgow.
Many Scottish objects have also been found by accident, being
discovered on hillwalks, dug up in gardens or unearthed during
The Museum's largest collection of Scottish objects was donated
by Ludovic MacLellan Mann (1869-1955), an insurance broker
and amateur archaeologist. His collection includes a wide range
of objects, from prehistoric to post-Roman and early Medieval
times. In 1902 the Andersonian Collection of 130 Scottish
items was donated by the governors of the Glasgow and West of
Scotland Technical College.